Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Enkosi means Thank You

In Port St. John’s, I discovered Africa. A new Africa, that I had not seen yet. A black Africa, where white faces were a minority in visibility and actual numbers. We entered the Transkei. I had been forewarned of going into the district from relatives and white faces we met in our travels. We were told not to stop, pick up hitch hikers, drive on dirt roads and God forbid an accident occurred and we hit something; again the message was to NOT STOP! For anything. It was dangerous and full of unrest, was the message that was drilled into us. With some trepidation, we did stop though. And for that I will be forever grateful.
Port St John’s is on the coast of the Indian Ocean in the middle of Pondoland. It is considered to be a traditional black homeland and as such, has a very limited white population. The language was another new one to me, so communication with the locals was limited to sign language and what little English they could get by with. Even with that, I felt the difference here though. For two weeks we made the area our home, and it was a beautiful, lush and peaceful place. We stayed in a hostel that was five kilometers from a beautiful beach, full of sand and shells. The town had a traditional market, “Take-Aways” aplenty, a more “formal” supermarket and a bank, if you were willing to stand in the long and very slow line. My van mate Taro even discovered that the Town Hall played movies and he attended with a few local youths that he befriended. They became fast friends and spent several days together just doing and being whatever they liked and required.
I found a measure of quiet, that I sorely needed to recharge my tattered soul. I made new friends and acquaintances.  I discovered a new faith in the country that struggled with its identity after so many years of apartheid and unrest. It was a simple place steeped in tradition. Labelled rustic by some, I found it quaint and it stole my heart. Many words flowed from me as I sat  by candle light. A hike to a waterfall, spawned a longer hike along the Wild Coast Trail. For four days we hiked through back country. We skirted deep, dark chasms, jumped from boulders to rocks, waded through tall, waving fields of grasses and discovered magical streams to take the sting out of burning, sun-baked skin. This was topped off by spending the last night in a traditional rondavel with a Xhosa family that fed us in the manner that they were accustomed to. We slept on the ground in our sleeping bags surrounded by stray dogs and scattered chickens. We were fed rice, samp (beans), mussels  and fish from the ocean we had just been hiking beside. We were steeped in the smiles of the locals. The children seemed to have such an amazingly pure energy and joy of life that was contagious. You could not help but wave and carry on the smiles that they handed out so freely. Those smiles buoyed me up and the simplicity around me made me appreciate all I had and knew. It was a far cry from our previous stops in Port Elizabeth, Addo National Park and East London and that was a good thing.
*Enkosi means Thank You in Xhosa, one of South Africa's Eleven official languages. I noted that was the only word I picked up in Xhosa in a post card written home
Here is a link to Miriam Makeba singing the Click Song in Xhosa.

7 comments:

  1. you have had such amazing adventures...it is interesting how when we find true simplicity it shows us how far from simplicity we really are...i long for it though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. From time to time I follow some of your stories. You clearly have wonderful memories of this time in your life and you seem to enjoy spending your time in that place.

    I would like it if you would take us to that place too! You often write about how wonderful some of these places are, but I can't see inside your wonderful feelings. For example, in "Enkosi Means Thank You" you talk about the locals who "fed us in the manner that they were accustomed to." I am dying to know what you ate, how they served you, their manners when dining with guests and what the taste and texture of their local fare was.

    You talk about a place that stole your heart. Yes, there were waterfalls, boulders and rocks to jump on, chasms, fields of waving grasses... yes, yes, yes. I have those where I'm from too. Bring me into *these* fields and *these* magical streams of Port St. John.

    You talk about this place where all the whites say 'Don't stop for anything' on account of the unrest in the region. You stopped... but you forgot to tell *us* about the people you (somehow) befriended in this dangerous and wild and foreign place. I have friends that I see movies with where I'm from, but I really am dying to know about this strange part of the world.

    You're memories are wonderful (and personal, of course). I am asking for an invitation into the rest of the wonder and detail in this magical time of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enkosi for the great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing adventures,
    you see things in very different perspective,
    which makes you stand out...
    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We sat inside of the rondavel(round hut made from mud, grass and whatever "building" materials handy) on the dirt floor. Our hosts were a Xhosa family that spoke with clicks and words strange to my foreign ears. The women were clad in brightly coloured sarongs and blankets. The men were dressed in worn trousers and whatever Americana sporting motifs they could find. The ragged children ran about in the dirt in shorts and dresses worn thin from washing and over-use. Smiles and good will let us know we were welcome when language failed between us. Giant platters and bowls carved out of wood were laden with steaming dishes that made us feel like royalty. Rice and samp were staples for every meal. This family was better off than some, as evidence of some mild spices were to be found with the tongue. The mussels and fish were a delicacy to be had by living by the sea. Tomatoes seemed to everywhere that we went and they appeared with the ocean's fare here too. Mismatched plastic plates were handed to us, laden down with our feast. Our fingers were the only utensils on offer and for this, I was glad. It was a simple feast, but indicative of the wealth that us as foreign visitors brought to them. Water washed down our meal, but mealie beer was offered later. The umqombothi was a thick sour brew that did not please my palate, but being the good polite Canadian tourist that I was, I imbibed to show consideration for their hospitality.

    These are all images though. The sincerity in the smiles and generousity is what made me love these people. By North American standards I visited so many places that were incredibly poor, but to meet the people I can not say that. There was a difference in understanding of gestures and nuances, like when I offered a sip of beer I was drinking to a passing local on the beach in Mozambique. He took the beer and walked away, leaving me empty handed. I was irked until he came back with a bucket of fresh water, that was infinitely more valuable to myself and my travelling companions where we had no source of water of our own. It was a different world and the people were raised in a different climate that I cannot hope to understand and in turn explain. I was treated well and for this I am humbled and grateful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps if I take these words and expand them further, I could fulfill more images that are sought by you my readers. As I am somewhat limited by the blog setting, I just give you a taste. To walk in the wilds of Africa is a privilege that I cherish. There are so many images, I can only offer so much. I hope that you will continue to visit and join me in my meanders through the continent. I will try to do my best to make it come alive for all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your 'free sample' was delicious. Enkosi. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails