Monday, September 6, 2010

Labour Day

Tis Monday; Monday September 6th or Labour Day in North America. One day before Tuesday September 7th or the first day of school for my babies. Both of them. ACK! Oh, I know that most of you lovely people have been there and done that. Knowing that you all survived does help me to keep myself together today. I have to admit that I have been flitting around pretty constant though. We made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies this morning. I have chicken thighs in the crock pot. I have a roast beef in the oven for dinner tonight. I also have more chicken marinating for dinner later in the week. Yesterday I made spaghetti sauce and meat loaf. The spaghetti sauce will be going to my friend's house  who is recovering from her surgery last week (a little has been saved for us for a meal as well). I have cleaned lunch bags, counters and done several loads of laundry today. Can you tell that I am a little anxious? Nah!

I have double checked bus routes and schedules. I plan to drive the kids to school tomorrow, but just might let them come home on the bus. I am comfortable enough with my nervousness to rebuff all the suggestions that I should relax and put the kids on the bus right off. Not going to do it. Nope. With three school amalgamating into one, I just don't think that Day 1 of school will be 100% smooth. We did  have a brief stop and visit to their class rooms on Friday, meeting T's teacher en route. I feel better, but I don't think it will hurt for me to take them tomorrow. Because realistically you know it is all about me. Yes, I realize that my darling children will be the ones attending school. I am the one that is releasing care of my most precious possessions to complete strangers though. No, I do not think of them as possessions, but they are my life. I am their only parent and I think that I am just having a hard time releasing care. I am used to being the be all and end all of their worlds. This is a bigger step into the wide world of their life outside of mine. Yes, that is it. They are growing up. sigh...

Right now though I am still needed. Elbow pads are requested for a bit of bike riding so I must go. My babies still need me today. I need them more than they realize, so must go.


6 comments:

  1. Oh my dear!! So much to say, but I don't want to write a comment that's longer than your post! :)

    I am gearing up for my *counting on fingers* SEVENTH first day of school with Nathan. I still take the morning off and take him in. And I still wear sunglasses. That's a hint, by the way...sun, clouds, heck, even if it's pouring rain - WEAR SUNGLASSES. You'll thank me for this advice tomorrow. :)

    It's a big deal, and yes...moreso for you than for them. Good luck, my friend!

    PS - Out of the clear blue sky today, Will says to me: "Do you remember R & T?" I love that he still remembers them! He informed me that they need to come and play with him again soon. Bet they'd love his new kitchen! ;)

    xoxoxo
    -C

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes I can smell the "Bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils"

    Enjoy these days for they are most precious of all.

    cheers,
    Joanny

    ReplyDelete
  3. smiles. its all going to be good...and in a few days you will get lost in the routine...i keep telling myself that...and you will be needed by them for years to come...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. -Sunglasses; check
    Yeah, pretty sure I will need them. thanks Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that I will be able to look back on them with smiles later, but just can't feel those smiles in my heart yet Joanny. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Brian. I will be remembering your post from a few weeks ago, as I drive away from the school tomorrow. Keep smiling until they are out of sight, right? Thanks for those mental hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails