Thursday, September 16, 2010

Changing of the Seasons

The seasons, they are a changing. Yes, the distinct chill in the air was heralded in with the first of September. It was summer one moment and with the passage of Labour Day, it was Fall. While I wave goodbye sadly to hot summer days and steamy nights where my skin is the only covering that I care to wear, I try not shed too many tears. For I have many loves in the Autumn as well. The changing of seasons allows me to dig out warm sweaters that offer soft hugs. Harvesting goes into overdrive and farmer's markets are awash in colourful produce that I cannot resist. The prospect of toasty fires in my neglected hearth makes me smile. Really, a nice glass of Cabernet Sauvignon cannot be matched to warm up the insides while the fire crackles. Long, hot luxurious bathes are more enjoyable with a chill in the air as well. Ahh. 

One of my favourite things about Fall is the changing colours in the trees around me though. The colour bath buoys my soul and I fill it, knowing that it will all fade to white before I know it. I took advantage of a break in the rain last weekend to wander in a nearby forest. Despite the city continuing on in its noise and busyness just outside the boundaries of this green-space, it all fades away under the forest canopy. I need to breath in the living world around me and pull the energy offered into my soul. I know that I have not fed this need in too long a time. My appreciation of this gift is met with serene smiles. And I breathe.
 

My children feel it too; I can tell. They stoop down, collecting acorns, leaves and twigs; all potential craft  items. T's eyes constantly scan the ground, until her pockets are bulging with her finds. Even R gets in on the fun, pointing out an apple that she insists I take a picture of.


Snap!
I love these moments that we have together, carefree and full of life. Friends joined us on this day to take in a breath of Mother Nature. The children laughed and ran throughout the trees. I can certainly understand their joy. 

What's not to love?
I suspect that my wandering is not done for the year, rather that I have wetted my appetite for more. The bliss I feel amongst nature's gifts is just re-kindled into a flame I am drawn to. I must put my nose back to the grindstone of daily life for now, but I share one more image with you that brought peace and smiles to a world that was sorely needed. Enjoy your day and get outside to breath in the crisp air that nourishes us. Be well my friends.

A view that took my breath away



10 comments:

  1. what beautiful pictures and what beautiful words
    if you had asked me before reading this, i would've said that i'm not ready for autumn yet (because we had way too much rain this summer) - but now - hmmm - cabernet sauvignon at a crackling fire - farmer's market - walks in a colorful autumn forest - think i just changed my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our summer here was pretty spectacular, so I cannot complain. Fall is certainly in the air here though Claudia. I think I am ready to pick up the rake and start back outside again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah. nice pics...love me some fall...and acorn battles...smiles. cant wait for the leaves to start changing so i can head to the mountains...

    ReplyDelete
  4. acorn battles! You dirty rat!

    I am jealous that you have mountains nearby, but I bet that you get some spectacular views in the fall

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the changing of the color in the trees too. I always think about how lucky I am to get to see such an abundance of that when I live. Happy nature treasure hunting!

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely nature shots.
    I feel like walking into a garden,
    Thanks for sharing.
    Happy Friday!
    Thanks for the kind words yesterday.
    I am a quick recover.
    Blessings for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lisa
    Autumn is a pretty spectacular season and I can't help but enjoy the show

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jingle
    Glad to hear you are feeling better. I garden walk helps to slow you down and makes the world seem not so crazy. Be well

    ReplyDelete
  9. kkridge:

    For me, one of the joys of reading other people’s blogs is to immerse myself in a virtual sense, in some of the things that they describe. I am fully engaged in your writing, the ordinary everyday is an adventure into the miracle we call life. Love your writing...

    Cheers,
    Joanny

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an honour to have these words from you Joanny. I cherish this and save the smiles you have given me in a special place in my heart. Thank you so much dear woman.
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails