Thursday, September 23, 2010

Soup's On!

After dropping the kids off at school this morning, I had an appointment downtown. Upon leaving my meeting, I found myself walking right into my favourite Farmer's Market. Not one to pass up on the colourful bounty of Fall, I hummed and hawed over the produce and picked up some fixings for soup. With the brightest colour of the garden patch catching my eye, I decided upon Borscht for lunch. Sweet fall beets are yummy in my books (and with my children being at school I don't have to listen to them moaning that they "don't like it!"). While I sometimes follow recipes, when it comes to soup I wing it, so here is today's take on it;

Thursday's Version of Borscht

So you start with some beets. I picked these up at the farmer's market this morning. Can we say Fresh!





Cut up for the soup pot











and then you chop up some carrots (also purchased at my favourite farmer's stall last weekend)


Onions and garlic add to the flavour as well, so get them in there! I bet you can guess where the onion came from (Yup, farmer Rick again! Geez, you're good) That pile of garlic is purely home grown though. I pulled up a bunch of my garlic about a month ago and have been drying it outside. Into that pot you go! No, I am not using all the garlic on the right hand side (Vampires begone!). Just three little ones will do.









All chopped  and ready to go
Don't forget your bouquet garni. Here I have used thyme, parsley, oregano, a sage leaf and a bay leaf. It is all from my garden, but the bay leaf. I do have a Bay tree that I have brought inside for the winter, but there were some dried bay leaves handy, so I am using one of those up today. If the term "bouquet garni" is unfamiliar to you, essentially it is a collection of fresh herbs tied with string and thrown into your concoction for flavouring. It is removed prior to consumption, but flavours your soup, stock or sauce that you are making without leaving behind visible traces of it. Wikipedia has an entry here. I try to use them as often as I can (cus I love feeling foie de foie) when I have fresh herbs available. This time of year my herb garden is chock full, so herbs go in everything I cook. Nuff said.

Thyme, parsley, sage, oregano and bay

Voila! A bouquet garni.
Throw them in a pot with stock and simmer. Sprinkle in some salt and turn the pepper mill over the soup pot a few times. Stir it up. Now go write a blog post or something, as it needs to burble for a while.
...
...
oops, don't forget to smash disconnect the smoke detector while your soup is boiling away. Mine goes off if I look at it for two seconds (freaking sensitive piece of @#$!%#@). I have just turned the fan on myself, so as the neighbours don't call the fire department (again - oops, last house and another story).

As an afterthought, some of the beet leaves got washed and tossed into the pot too. Mmmm, it is starting to smell good now! Tummy is rumbling, but the beets aren't cooked through yet. Run a load of laundry downstairs to fill a few minutes.
...
...

Ok, it's got to be ready by now! I'm starving. Pull the sour cream out of the fridge. It is the traditional addition to borscht and I just happen to have some handy. 

Now,

Leave me be so I can eat my soup!
Happy Thursday all :)

9 comments:

  1. you know i dont think i have ever tried this...i have on the other hand set the smoke alarm of numerous times...ours must be a distant cousin of yours...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I bow down in the presence of greatness.

    First, I find that you iron your shower curtain. And now this. Seriously, I don't know how you do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very impressive!!!!! I imagine making things like this.... but thats as far as I get!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. pfffttttt! Oh, you people.

    Brian, my smoke detector goes off if I open the oven door. Brad always used to tease me that dinner was done when the smoke alarm went off. grrr

    Corrie, you paint me so much more suzie-homemaker than I truly am. The shower curtain has been ironed every time I have washed it (I hate to count, but that is probably a grand total of 3 times in three years). That is only because of crayon/marker additions and the special perk of a newer space. As for the soup, It was yummy, but I wont' even offer it to my kids as I now it will only get turned up noses. Literally it was only those ingredients left to soup up for a while. Easy peasy if you have the time. Kids were at school today, so I had a few more moments to spare. Nifty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie!
    Well, I imagine re-attaching my banister that my daughter ripped out of the wall, finishing painting my window sills in the basement that I began last January, organizing my garage so that potentially I can put my vehicle in there one day or even vacuuming my van so that I don't have to be embarrassed any time someone gets into it. It all starts with imagining. If it is important, it will happen. If not, WHO CARES!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I love borscht! And I love making soup. It's so simple, and it's the only time I feel like a chef or something. The only thing is, like you, I tend to wing it and when I make the odd amazing-tasting batch (all are good, but some are just awesome - maybe it's the mood of the veggies or something - lol) I can never quite replicate it. Yay for autumn and a sudden desire for beautiful soups and stews :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for Autumn indeed Talon! I had a second helping of borscht today and it is spicier than the first day. Different from one batch or day to the next. I was also drawn in by the butternut squash and plan on a delicious soup made of it (a hint of orange, finished with cream & chives - to die for!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What? You iron your shower curtain???

    The soup looks delish, a garden in a bow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lord people! Get over it!! I ironed my shower curtain!! It's not like I iron the kids underwear or anything. I can barely even sew on a button. I do thank you all for thinking I am uber-housewife though. I discovered that I am not a plumber or a washing machine repair person, but I should be able to re-attach my banister this weekend. I am woman, hear me madly cackle as I sweep kid toys aside with the almighty vacuum! Baarrroooooooooooooommm!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails