Saturday, July 31, 2010

Turning Lager into Water

As I sat interpreting the life of this man and his son, I sipped on the cold beer that I had just purchased at the dilapidated stand in what posed as a village square. A beautiful old hotel was the backdrop for my setting, but it had been abandoned long ago. It seemed just like so many other  aspects of Mozambique. All forgotten to the world.
The cold amber liquid poured down my hot throat, quenching the fire that simmered there. The beer was a luxury that I had allowed myself on this scorching day, as we lazed beside the ocean. I sipped at it, then returned to the writing in my journal. A shadow fell across the beach in front of me and I looked up to spy the man that was gracing the pages of my writing again. He had returned from delivering the fish we had offered him home. Now his gestures told me of another want. He had a thirst as well. I handed him the bottle expecting him to take a long pull at the contents. I was mistaken.
I sat up, perturbed at his retreating figure. He had walked away! He had taken my almost full beer and departed.   I had been willing to share, but still wanted more of the lager that had only begun to quench my thirst. With a sigh, I acquiesced that perhaps it was a luxury that he needed more. Something that he did not often get a chance to afford or enjoy. I chalked it down to a lesson learned that in this land, perhaps when you gave something to someone they kept it until they have had enough, then they too pass it on. Different lands hold different cultures.
Before I had a chance to think much beyond the incidence that had just occurred, I spied the man coming back again. To my surprise and delight, he carried with him a pail of water. It was a pail of fresh, clean drinkable water. He was returning the favor that I had offered to him, unbeknownst to myself. One good turn deserves another. As we were not camping in anything akin to a formal campground, we had to walk down to the village square to get our water at a communal tap like anyone else. It was a good sized walk and alien activity to our foreign ways. This man’s gift of water was worth much more than the humble beer that I had shared with him. My soul was uplifted by his simple act of sharing and kindness that I had not expected. I felt small in his presence of generousity, but awed by the beauty of it. Here was a spirit of sharing and community. Items were freely shared amongst the people and it was an understood thing amongst everyone. The beauty of Mozambique lifted to the top of my destinations in this simple, yet unforgettable moment. I was in love.

11 comments:

  1. smiles. what a beautiful moment you captured. if only all communities were that way...thank you for the drink of water today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a beautiful story!

    "The beauty of Mozambique lifted to the top of my destinations in this simple, yet unforgettable moment. I was in love."

    Yes....I see why!

    Thank you for sharing this, dear lady. It made me FEEL.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is indeed a beautiful story - surprised by generosity and kindness - thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4 u:)

    http://hoiden.wordpress.com/awards/friendship-awards/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to read. I guess it is safe to say "never draw quick conclusions" I am glad the Man was able to give you a good impression before you stamped your impression about the people. Nice one. I hope you're enjoying Mozambique. All the best.

    Have a successful August as well as a beautiful week ahead.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, alcohol IS dehydrating... :)

    Just a beautiful story. I wanna live in a place where all is shared. And I guess I CAN, by starting it! It all begins with us, right.

    Wonderful inspiring story.

    Goes now singing Bob Dylan's lyrics "Upon the beach at Mozambique..."

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Brian.
    and I have to say that a big part of the online community that we call the blogosphere does hold that kind of beauty. So many times I have been touched by the sharing, caring and kind words that flow. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ron and Claudia, I appreciate the fact that you too are touched by a beautiful moment I was privileged to experience. It isn't often we are given this gift of purity

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right Emmanuel. Up until that point I had only been nervous to be there and felt the whole experience was rather unpleasant. The gift of faith, sharing, and to me, friendship were ones that hold with me. They are a reminder that not everything is how it seems and more importantly that we get what we need even if it does not seem initially like it is what we want.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to run right out to find that song Jannie. Too bad I hadn't been aware of it or perhaps it would have been a nice addition to the tale. Drat.
    Ok everyone! Hum to yourselves now!!!
    (sounds just like Bob with all that racket you guys are making...)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails