Monday, October 24, 2011

A Toast to Swakopmund


I was never so happy as to touch solid ground in Swakopmund. I had no urge to look back at the truck that had carried me across the desert, when it pulled away from me. Good riddance. The dual drivers had tarnished my sense of security and shortened a few years off my life. I had battled groping hands and a sense of doubt in humanity. Despite my fears though, I had made it.

As I settled into the bar at a new hostel, my first sip of Windhoek beer was like heaven. I had earned this beer, but somehow felt like I didn’t deserve it. My sense of being tainted left me feeling dirty. I could not change the past though, so instead let it go with hope for a new day bringing fresh smiles and happiness.

 Tomorrow, I would see the ocean again. The South Atlantic was just outside my view, but I could feel the salt air on my skin. It was a new coast for me and I was excited to see these western waves. For the time being, I looked forward to my first bed in three nights and a safe roof over my head. I enjoyed the stability of being stationary, the solitude of being solo and the peace that came with my pen on paper. A cold beer helped my troubles melt away and my journal reminded me that lessons can always be learned. The sun would rise again and I was blessed to be able to witness it.

A toast to Swakopmund.


6 comments:

  1. smiles. a short chapter but after the last couple a nice toast may be just the thing...smiles.

    hope you are well k

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Brian: Most definitely! Cheers to that my friend. I hope you are well also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The groping would've make me lose a bit of trust in humanity too.

    Lovely piece, Dear Katherine. From the desert to the ocean is a long long trek of body and spirit.

    Craving a beer now, instead of this decaf. had a wonderful Sierra Pale Ale with at a cafe the other day with a big old burger. Was yummy!!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could FEEL your happiness and relief in your words, Katherine.

    Whew!

    And yes...you DID deserve that nice cold beer!

    Cheers!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jannie: Hi Jannie. Thank you so much dear lady. I shall have a beer with you perhaps tomorrow. I need sleep tonight. I will come to clink with you later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ron: More than deserved it Ron, but it unfortunately did not erase the memories this time.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails