Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My "Fall" Garden

Can I just remark that it was a beautiful day in my neck of the woods today! The sun was shining bright and golden yellow in a cloudless sky, but that wasn't the only yellow thing to be found. Check out these hardy nasturtiums that just continue to blossom and thrive out in the yard. Beautiful, plus peppery good to eat, if you are so inclined. I love to look at them, but they are fun in a salad as well!


This here plant is also good in a salad, but a staple in the spaghetti pot as well. Anyone know what this pretty herb is called? While it has lost some of its pungency now that it is flowering, this hardy perenial is oregano! I started mine from a four inch pot and it is now competing with everything around it. If you need any, let me know! Divisions are always available!


Wow,
this colour surely lets you know what time of year it is.
The burning bush is starting to flame in the back yard,
so it's got to be Fall. 
I really do love its vibrant red though
Don't you?



While you might not recognize this prickly specimen as it sits now, you have all heard of this plant too. In fact, I think I like it just as much in this state as when it waves its pink blooms in the late summer. Does echinacea ring a bell? If you don't recognize this brown beauty by that name, you have probably heard of purple cone flowers. Should be called spiky cone flowers, I'd say!
And with the feathery wisps of grasses delicately brushing the Autumn sky, I fear that the changing of the seasons cannot be ignored. Summer is now a distant memory. Winter's warnings have been in the air on a crisp morning or two already. 

But today
I just had to get out 
and enjoy the last few precious days of sunshine
in my garden


with my poor sick kitty in tow
I soaked up some sunshine
before winter winds
erase any memory
of summer days
and the great warm
outdoors

Oh, surprise!
with all those tempting temperatures
not much writing gone done today either.
Oops!

4 comments:

  1. OOh Katherine...your echinacea is awesome! That picture has strengthened my resolve to give growing mine another try. And if I lived closer I would definitely be up for an oregano division! My sage is about that big and also flowers beautifully...fabulous in a vase of cut flowers with it's special aroma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. smiles. my oh my how your garden grows...some real beauty there...kitty is sick? sorry...glad you got some sun though...hopefully today is as beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Possum: Yes, you might be able to get oregano a little closer to home I suspect. haha

    I don't think my sage has ever flowered. What colour are the flowers? Is it just a plain sage or something fancy? The scent is lovely though. I love brushing up against plants in the garden and even have a pot of herbs right beside the back door. Always get wafts of basil & parsley when I brush by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Brian: It is amazing how it changes throughout the year. I love being able to step out there and admire this, that and whatever is flourishing at that point in time.

    Unfortunately, Miss Kitty is not on the flourishing list. She is still heading out to soak up a few rays of sunshine herself, but mealtime is sketchy, as is her weight. Waiting game to see how she does. :'(

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails