Friday, October 22, 2010

The first tender day



As their car drove out of sight, I looked around me at the glorious day that was. Sunshine filtered through the sparse crabapple and I decided it was time. Yes, with the sun's relative warmth upon my face, I released a smile to the world. Today would be the first tender day to rake the leaves of Autumn. 



I gathered up rakes, gardening gloves and the many yard waste bags we would need to begin the task at hand. Don't get me started on the bags though, as paper may be environmentally friendly, but just add a little rainfall or two and those bags shred like there's no tomorrow. I mean really, don't they know that it rains every other day in the Fall? Maybe not in your part of the world, but in Southern Ontario it seems to have rained pretty regular the last few weeks. How is a paper bag supposed to survive that? Hrumph; I digress...


So the lawn got raked
and the pile it grew


until all that could be seen
was two little heads poking through





I couldn't resist
their playful ways
So I dove right in
to the leaf pile fray


Attacked by the littlest one
I resisted not a wit
as who can resist that smile?
  pfft- not even a little bit
but friends don't you worry
that this caused me to frown


 as you can clearly see
I did not fail and drown


and in case you think you missed it,
but still wanted to help out
bring along your rakes and gloves, 
for there's still more to throw about!

 

7 comments:

  1. haha, how cute....perhaps we will rake this weekend ourselves...just for the fun of it...great to see you smiling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like fun! I'll be doing that too soon, but will have to import the little girls :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls love to "help" when we rake leaves. I don't think they will be much help to you though Marilynn, as their idea of helping is jumping in the leaf pile after it is piled high. I bet your boys are the same Brian! Have a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos!!! Fall is always my favorite time to take family photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, who could resist that smile indeed.
    You all are very very cute!

    I'd play too.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's all I've been doing in whatever spare time I have. I was actually thankful for the rain temporarily suspending rake time.

    What a fun way to spend an afternoon with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. * Hi Cindy. Mine too! It doesn't look like I will get any formal fall photos this year, but all of our portraits have been taken by photographer friends outside amongst the leaves. It just makes you feel and look healthy I think

    * There is still plenty more leaves to rake Jannie! I will even let you play with my rake! I am that kind of generous :D Beer in the fridge for after for you my beer drinking, guitar playing friend.

    * I was going to rake more leaves today and even mustered up another kid to help (or jump in the pile as is more want to do), but as noted the rain kept us from our rakes. Alas, the leaf bags will decompose where they sit before yard waste day I fear. boo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails