Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saturday's Email of the Week: Birthday Wishes All Over Again

Email of the Week

While this video came to me compliments of Facebook, I did get an email regarding other songs by the same band. I personally liked "Cake" best though, so thought I would share it here with you.

The occasion this week was a friend's birthday. A long-lost friend and erstwhile boyfriend. In fact, the recipient of this song was my very first boyfriend. He was the one who introduced me to ska and began to open the door for me to an alternative world. When I met him, he was a skin head, rode a motorcycle, owned a scooter, and managed to cook me a shaky meal of spaghetti (with the help of telephone step-by-step directions from a sweet friend that couldn't resist helping the petrified young man). He bought me a super-soft teddy bear with flowers for our first Valentine's Day. No boy had ever given me anything as sweet as that before.

Ah yes, I was 17 and smitten, but there were underlying problems that just couldn't be resolved. This dear boy gave me a taste of pure romance, but lived an achingly long drive away. An hour and a half drive, once a week, every other, then finally once a month killed this fledgling relationship. I was in high school and he was a  college man. Our futures were uncertain and ultimately I bet against them. When I broke his heart, I broke mine too. My young years somehow knew that it was the right thing to do though.

but damn, it hurt.

For my fellow Cancer friend, I share this song today though. He always made me laugh and had an endearing smile. I am lucky to call him a friend still.

So for Saturday's email of the week, I share with you "Cake", by Rather Good. Perfect, I think. Happy Saturday everyone. And happy birth-month to all my fellow cancers out there celebrating a birthday this month. WE ROCK!

6 comments:

  1. ok that totally messed with my eyes...yeah i got one of those in my past as well...way back...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story - and when you said you broke his and your heart, I felt the ache in mine.
    I especially love how you look back with adult eyes and know it was best. Sometimes I have a hard time doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brian: A sweet memory to carry always. You didn't enjoy your piece of cake Brian? ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Stranger: I kind of knew that then too. He was five years older than me and something just told me that it wouldn't last. I still cried my eyes out when he left after I told him I couldn't keep on like that. ahh, young love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG....not only did I love this story, but the video as well!

    Faaaaaaabulous! And I especially giggled at those cute little backup kitty singers!!!

    I can so identify with how you felt concerning your boyfriend. I too went through something similar. Isn't is something how that first 'true love' leaves an indelible memory in your heart?

    But, hey, that's a good thing.

    Thanks for sharing, my friend. Enjoyed!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ron: "Isn't is something how that first 'true love' leaves an indelible memory in your heart?

    But, hey, that's a good thing."

    It is indeed Ron. Long ago memories, but they still bring tender smiles in memory. Thanks for your kind words Ron

    XO

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails