Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Little Bit About Me Today.


Well now, isn't that a pretty thing! I have seen them around, but this lovely spring-feeling award comes from a new blogger that I've recently met. I found Sara from Starving Novelist on Twitter. While I am still feeling my way through the ups and downs of all things Twitterness, she seems to have it all down pat. She was very friendly and welcoming to me as well, which I am prone to like. And now what does she do, but present me with an award! Woohoo! I will take the cheap flattery and parade it around with me for the day, cus I'm like that I guess. You know that there are always strings with these things though. Drat.

Today's strings are simple enough;

1. Thank and link to the person who nominated you.
2. Share seven random facts about yourself.
3. Pass the award along to 5 new-found blogging buddies.
4. Contact the winners to congratulate them.


Easy peasy right! So a big shout out and thank you to Sara Burr for including me in the fun. Your random facts were a lot of fun. I can tell that we are going to get on just fine. 


Now I have to contemplate some random facts that you lovely people might be interested to know that I haven't already shared with you. Hmmm...


  1. I seem to have always been able to spin a decent yarn. Way back in grade school I wrote a speech for the annual public speaking contest. Everyone in the school had to write one and the best one from each class then had an opportunity to read their speech in front of the whole school. Well, I wrote a delightful little speech about some of the inventions that my Grandfather concocted, like the gotcha stick, the discomboobulator and I cannot remember what else. Anyway, I got lots of laughs in my class and was rewarded with the honour of reading my speech in front of the entire school! Accolades!!!
  2. Accolades aside, I was terrified. Fact #2 is that I was an extremely shy child that hid behind her mother's skirts whenever we were out in public. I did have a few neighbour friends, but most of my friends lived in the pages of books. Humourful or not, speaking in front of a rather large group of people was horrifying to me. I did it, but spoke into my pages and had my friends in the first row using stage whispers to encourage me to speak up that were louder than my own mousy tones. I would not be going on to speak in any wider circles after that fiasco, but I did eventually loosen up a tad. Friends and associates now would be shocked to learn that I was ever quiet.
  3. I might have been afraid of public speaking as a child, but I wasn't afraid of snakes. One summer while my sister and I were staying out at my Grandparent's house in BC, my cousins came to visit. My cousin Mike was a) a boy & b) a year older than me. That made him the leader of our little pack for some reason (there was him, me, my sister, who was 2 years younger than me, & his sister, who was a year younger than my sister). He came up with an idea to while away the hours on our senior citizen retreat island - putting garter snakes in people's mailboxes. Oh fun! Yup, we gathered up enough snakes to put one in each of the 6-7 mailboxes that sat at the side of the road, just up the hill from my grandparent's house. Hilarious, except for the fact that shortly thereafter we all went out for a drive and Grandpa decided to check the mail before going too far. Rats! Plan foiled and dirty looks were sent all around to us nasty kids in the back of the pickup. Fun while it lasted, but probably best that it was my Grandpa that found the snakes vs some poor little old lady who might've had a heart attack.
  4. While I frequently flew out to BC to spend summers with my grandparents, my first flight was a much longer affair. At 5 1/2 months old I had the pleasure of my very first airplane flight, all the way out to Cape Town, South Africa. I have no idea if I was a good baby or not or really anything about the visit at all, but that was my first flight. Not my last flight to South Africa though, as you all well know. :)
  5. Really, seven is such a large number! What else is interesting? Well, I don't think much of it, but most people think I am a bit of a freak as I don't like bacon. Not turkey bacon, or back bacon, or even that pre-cooked bacon (that looks pretty darn scary on the packaging and doesn't make me want to even consider it). My last bacon meal was a starvation-induced, bacon or nothing affair after a night of drinking at a friend's house. It passed my lips that morning, but no more (keep your knickers on though, as I can pick bacon bits out of a salad if I have to!)
  6. I also don't like olives, but feel less conspicuous about that. I use olive oil. I will eat pickles (home-made by ME of course) or pickled mushrooms, and have tried green and black olives on more than one occasion, but I just don't care for them. Sorry!
  7. Oh ho! Number Seven! Wonderful. Interesting fact number seven is that ... ummm ... errr... well... I, ah. Oh frig, you probably know more about me now than I do! How about, while my handwriting is generally legible, my signature is far from it. Scrawl! 
Woohoo! Did it. Oh wait. You say there is something more that I have to do? Lord have mercy! Ok, let me scroll back.

Dum-te-dum...


Oh yes, right, right, right! I am supposed to pass on my little award to some of the newest bloggers that I have discovered. Okey doke. how about we pick on Meg at Big London/Little London. She was in my recent writing class and could use a little love. Mama Zen at The Zen of Motherhood has been around for a while, but it hasn't been that long since I have been following her, so I am going to toot her horn today as well. Possum is also relatively new to my roster, as is Suzanne at Words that Work. There are probably others I could pick on, but I am tired and I am supposed to go let these lovely folks know that I have plagued them with this quiz awarded them for their merit! If you have read all the way to the bottom, good for you. This post has taken me longer to write than most and is all about me, me, me (so hopefully didn't lull you into sleep/an early grave).

Thanks Sara! It was fun!

15 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Welcome to the wonderful (albeit sometimes frustrating) world of Twitter~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (snore) oh you are done...um...great job on the award...lol

    ok the snake trick was pretty cool...hehe. mike an i one time...oh wait let me save that for another day....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brian: :P ppfffffttttt!

    Bugger! Ha!
    Tease, on your story. I will be watching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting indeed! thanks for sharing some about you

    also...thank you for your kind words you left on my blog today

    have a wonderful evening, fello Canadian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I hate bacon and olives, too! I knew there was a reason I liked you so much.

    2. Brian's comment...Hahahaha!

    3. There is no three. I just got into the numbering thing, reading your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The discomBOOBulator? I want to see that one being demonstrated !

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're very welcome. What can I say, I love fellow writers! :-)

    #1 and #2 ring particularly true for me. When I was in elementary school, I was selected to read an essay I wrote about one of the office ladies to the school (incredibly mortifying). Well, if that wasn't bad enough, I was under the impression that she was going to be retiring so I added an "we're sorry to see her go." Needless to say, she wasn't retiring and I got a boatload of unintentional laughs that made me want to run away and never look back. Ah, memories.

    How can you NOT like bacon??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Hope: Only to happy to oblige my Canuck friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Me: THANK YOU! High-five girlfriend! We can start our own anti-bacon/anti-olive movement. Just say NO! Bwahaha!

    oh lord, I think I need more sleep

    @Timoteo: Of course you want to see that! haha. I would expect as much of you (I am afraid to say! In a good way though.) :)

    It is not what you think at all, but I think it might be more fun to leave you all guessing as to what the magic of the discomboobulator is really for...

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Sara: The lady of the hour! Welcome Sara. I have done a few quizzes about me before and they can be fun to do. They usually make people laugh as well, so what's the harm in that?

    Have you since gotten over your fear of public speaking? While the written word is the vice of choice for the two of us, I realize there will come a time when a public speaking engagement might arise again.

    gulp

    I think I can, I think I can. :)

    AND NO!!! I do not like bacon. Yuck!!! ha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Katherine!
    This was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The snake story was great! I don't like olives either - or bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much!

    I am terrified of snakes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Possum: You're welcome Possum. Glad you enjoyed!

    @Stranger: Ah, soul sister! We should toast to that!

    @Mama Zen: You would have been the one screaming at the mailbox then. Sorry! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails