Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Interpretation of a Poem

calico cat naps
snuggled under purrs of love
stretching the moment


Last night I read poetry to my girlies before I went out. I read selected poems from the chapbook that I created for my book club. I read some of my poems, and some from many other poets, known and not-so-much. At four and six, they don't care if the poets are wildly famous or not. They just like the sound of words strung together. 

In fact, the ladies of my book club didn't really care if the poets within the pages of the chapbook were known or not either. I know that I dragged some of them to the table of poetry, but for their part they were game to play along with my suggestions. Did I get any converts to a passion for poetry? Yes? No? Probably not so much, but they all claimed to like the experience. I read a few poems and they all exclaimed that the poems sounded so much better for the reading of them. I myself often read aloud words as I write them down, as I too like to hear how something sounds. If it doesn't sound right or flow right, then words are just scribbles on a page. 

Ah, but true poetry is all in the readers interpretation. This I found fascinating over the evening. I was surprised by people's reactions to poems, that I had never thought of. Poems that I had grooved on, were passed over, while other poems were held in high esteem. Interpretation and personal bias is key. No one is right or wrong in their opinions, and I hope that I allowed everyone to express themselves, without fearing to hurt my feelings. No matter, the experience was a good one and an experiment I might try again. 

Of the poem at the top, I wrote it for my daughter. T kept encouraging me to read another poem and another, until it was almost time for me to go. She likes to hear the poetry I create, and I in my turn love to share my meager creativity with her. She suggested that I should write a poem about a cat, so I used our dear Miss Kitty as inspiration this evening. She seems always to be a sleepy ball of fur, and now I should take my cue from her. 

Good night my friends and thank you to those of you who allowed me to share your few precious words with me. I am indebted to your kindness and offer you payment in loving kindness sent to you. Peace.

10 comments:

  1. loving kindness is the best currency...smiles.i like to hear the words now as well and how they play together...and you are right it is all in the reader...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your poem, and love the photo of your sleeping kitty. They go so well together, Katherine!

    "I myself often read aloud words as I write them down, as I too like to hear how something sounds."

    I'm the same way! Before I publish a post, I will read it aloud several times just to see what it sounds like. And then I will read it silently, just to check and see if I have any misspelled words. Somehow when I read it silently I SEE them, but when I read it aloud, I don't. Isn't that weird?

    Happy Wednesday, my friend!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always amazed at the number of ways that a poem can be interpreted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how wonderful, that you can share poetry with your daughters...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always read poetry aloud - it gives it depth and really makes the words sing. Sharing that with your daughters makes it even more special.

    I loved your cat poem, Katherine. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Brian: Reading aloud can give a poem a whole new feeling sometimes. Although sometimes it is affected by the person who is doing the reading. (I have to admit that some people's readings fall far short of the flamboyance I hear in my own mind).

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ron: Hey Ron. Oh Lord, do I ever know what you mean. I might read a piece I am working on a dozen times or more. I have been taking a writing class and am constantly going over my word count. That means I have to go back and scrutinize every word to see what can be cut out, and if it still sounds ok when you do. Painful sometimes, but worth it in the end. My throat is almost sore some nights though. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @MamaZen: Me too MZ! I will sometimes read a poem and think to myself "now what was that about?" only to come across all these comments from people taking the piece in a completely different direction than I ever would have dreamed. An interesting thing that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Emily: My eldest loves to hear me read Emily. I suspect that it is her way of getting closer to me. She knows that I am constantly writing, and when she shows interest in what I am doing, that gives us a moment to bond together. We are big readers of pretty much anything around these parts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Talon: I totally agree about the reading aloud Talon. And I hope that I inspire a life-long love of the written word for them both.

    Thanks too for your comment on my haiku. I have yet to read it to my daughter, so we shall see if she likes it too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails