Monday, January 10, 2011

To Arnie

Arnie

1972 VW Kombi Van


January 8th, 1995 - April 13th, 1996

He served us well
and always came through
in times of need

·         left Cape Town Jan 15/95
·         filled up at 31 km
·         discovered gas leak, speedo stopped at 81 km
·         got bolt stuck in tire – R10 fix
·         lost starter motor between Durban and Swaziland (near False Bay)
o   later to discover that it was the ignition that was giving us grief all along
·         gashed hole in exhaust in Mozambique between Vilanculos and Beira (see “The Worst Road in Africa”)
o   muffler sealant applied later in Masvingo with little effect
·         various scratches from several game parks
·         some new rust from ocean-side  journeys (and a distinct lack of washing)
·         door slider started to go around Hwange (an up-front and personal account of the ramifications at “Happy Tourists”)
·         losing power on the way to Hwange; revving high, popping out of first gear
o   equated to tempers running high and popping for the occupants of Arnie as well
·         Survived it all!
·         chugged into Pietersburg
·         sold Arnie April 13th, 1996

That was our Arnie, just a little more faded and worn around the edges

4 comments:

  1. nice. i always wanted one...and a good vehicle becomes likea good friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arnie was a sweet ride, not without his quirks. When I worked int he auto-body industry, I met lots of "interesting" people that really loved their cars. I give Arnie props for all he offered us, but in the grand scheme of things, it was just a van; a vehicle (literally and figuratively) for our adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...what a touching tribute to Arnie!

    I felt the same way when I traded in my old Chevy Nova - I was sooooo sad. A car almost becomes like a living, breathing, and loyal human being to you, doesn't it?

    I still miss my Chevy Nova!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. As he was a major figure in my travels, I felt it was only fitting to give him a grand farewell. He changed the course of my travels and for that I will be forever grateful. Cheers to your Nova & my Arnie Ron! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails