Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Writer

Ahem...

I have a new title. "Business Manager"; that's what I am. It sounds so officious. I could write up business cards, if i so desired. I really am tickled. This is another step on the path towards me.

I need to take this seriously, and indeed I am. My new office space is my promise to myself. My little corner of the living room is my way of saying that I "am" a writer. This is a valid path for me right now and I am okay with that. More than OK, I am truly ecstatic to be allowing myself to fill these shoes. I think a piece of me has always imagined that this could be a reality for me, but now I am letting it happen. I sit at my new desk every day. I have been typing and tapping into my laptop for a long time now, but it is finally coming together. It really is.

I still cannot claim much in the published world, but letting myself fill this space is a pretty special venture. For so long, I did not feel like I could truly validate my little attempts at creativity. I felt like I needed to stop and get on  with the business of real life, GET A REAL JOB! The world has given me several positive nods though and now I am at the point where I am willing to give myself that nod as well. 

So how is it that I define myself as a writer? Well, I plug away at my two books fairly often and finished tinkering with my poetry chapbook. Most of you will not see the chapbook, as it is just a compilation of poetry that I made for my book club, but it was a challenging and fun project for me. I think I can consider it testing ground for when my other books are ready for some unknown publisher's eyes, but I cannot wait to have my little creation in my hand just to say that I brought this little thing into existence.

While my plugging away at my unpaid labour is all very valiant, it does not pay the bills at present. That brings me back to my new title of Business Manager. It makes me smile just saying it. And it really is a real title too, although applied in a very friendly way. I manage all the admin details of a Blog Talk Radio show. A friend of mine interviews authors and I have now officially taken over all of the admin work for the show. It isn't glamorous, but it does bring some money in, which in turn allows me to stay home and plug away at my books. There are other social media projects that I handle for the same woman and again, they are not glamorous, but they buy groceries. 

So with the help of friends this evening, some shelves were hung and my new office space is coming on to complete. I popped an English language dictionary on the shelf and balanced it with a plant in the other corner. As is my wont, some rocks or crystals will be added, as well as some other books. I think my little corner is just beautiful though. It is my step in believing in me and the future. The future is in my hands. I write my story and today it is filled with heart.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's awesome about the job and it's awesome that you've got your office all set up and ready to create in!

    Wishing you tons of success, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. does this mean we need to bow in your presence? just asking...smiles. great job that is awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Talon: Thank you so much Talon. I have been plugging away at bits & bobs for said woman, but life is about me believing in me at present. Putting the hat of Business Manager on just reinforces that I can do this and AM doing this. It is real and I should treat it as such. She believes in me, as do others, but I have to believe in me. This entry is more journal today than anything, but I think that I need to say it out loud to me.

    Now, back to work I go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Brian: Paah! Far from it. As noted, it doesn't exactly equate to making me a big famous author in anyone's books. This is just about me believing in me and it feels good. I am not always good about patting myself on the back. I guess this is my way of doing that. Thanks for all your support Brian. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Business Manager, sweet... and you have your own executive office too. Congrats and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Psst...I've been calling you "Writer" in my head for a long time. Glad you finally figured it out, too. :)

    Congrats on the new office space, and your newfound vision of yourself.
    -C

    PS - I would like to see a copy of your poetry chapbook. Maybe e-book? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Murray: Not sure about the executive, but I love my little niche that I have carved out. Thanks Murray. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a hard thing to justify some days C. It would be one thing to define myself writer, but I am attempting to make a career around it, which is just a crazy thing to do. I am liking it all though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "This is another step on the path towards me."

    I love this!
    Bravo for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The world has given me several positive nods though and now I am at the point where I am willing to give myself that nod as well."

    You GO, girl!

    And by George, you ARE a writer! And an excellent one at that!

    "It is my step in believing in me and the future. The future is in my hands. I write my story and today it is filled with heart."

    ((( Katherine )))))

    A BIG congrats on your 'Business Manager' job!!! I'm sooooooo happy for you!

    Have a glorious day!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Possum: "I love this!
    Bravo for you!"

    Thank you. Now the trick is keeping it going...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Ron: "A BIG congrats on your 'Business Manager' job!!! I'm sooooooo happy for you!"

    While the title does indeed tickle me, it is mostly just a tool to have other people recognize me in my dealings with the show. I believe I am being pushed to empower myself as well, so here is me puffing my chest out. :) Thanks Ron. You always give me such warm smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Mijayami: :) Thanks for the support J

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails