Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Lover's Winter Quarrel

I am rap, tap, tapping at your door
in the icy cold lee from the wind
The icicles slip, drip, dripping from my nose
as I wait for you to let me in.

The stair so snow, snow, snowy around my ankles
as a shiver starts up my ill-covered spine.
I keep on rap, tap, tapping on the door frame
praying that forgiveness will rend the door open in time.

I dare not yell, tell, swell my sad story
as to why I quake without coat in the cold.
Rather beg, plead, coerce with remorsefulness,
but the light clicks out in a statement far too bold.


Just a bit of cold, bold poetic fiction for the Magpie prompt this week.

13 comments:

  1. I could feel you shivering on that step. Nice Magpie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the wonderful rhythm of your Magpie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrrrrrrrrrr...I could feel that cold, without a coat.

    Very nice, Katherine!

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! Let her in! She's freezing and she's incredibly sorry!

    Loved your poem, kkrige!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that last line carries my weight...shivering...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is a cold tale ...and sad.
    Very well written.

    I loved the tale you left on my comments page, about your Christmas in South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great write...for heavens sake let her in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the lovely comments. I had a rough day today (not related to this post!), so do not have the strength to comment on them all. I do appreciate all your words and support though. Peace to you all.
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah no--I feel for the cold soul and hope that all is not lost--great magpie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, better spirits today. I do appreciate all the comments on this piece. It is a fiction, but inspired by too many friends that are in difficult places in their relationships. Thank you all for stopping by and I agree that really, that icy cold door needs to be opened to communication. Open it for the love of all things snowy and cold! I will try to come visiting and say hello in person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the lyrical quality of your poem and your vivid imagery -- I was at the door step and felt as dissapointed as the speaker when the light went out at the end... very nice write!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Helena. Poor soul must have done something pretty bad to be stuck out in the cold...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails