Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Last Journey

More goodbye hugs were upon us. Oliver faded into memory behind us, as Brett and I set out on our last journey in Arnie. Recollections from our last game drive in Chobe would be held close to heart for a long time to come, but Zimbabwe was in our sights now. It was time for us to shed Arnie, our metal companion, and set out on foot.
Bulawayo served as a resting stop to make a plan and regroup. We inquired as to how to go about selling a South African baby blue Kombi and were met with shaking heads. Try as we might, we would have to return to South Africa to sell the van. It was too complicated to try to sell a South African vehicle in a foreign country. Trying to save miles would add more headaches than we cared to fight with.
We took advantage of the city’s amenities  and decided to take in a movie while we were in Bulawayo. A couple we had bumped into on a few occasions in our travels was going to see “Babe”, so we tagged along. We grabbed popcorn and sank into some lumpy seats to let the African continent slip away. For two hours we watched barnyard friends climb into and out of trouble, and I for one was transported.
Upon leaving the theatre, I blinked at the surreal feelings that lingered. I was in Zimbabwe, Africa. Only days before, I had watched a pride of lions stalk a herd of buffalos across the plains of Botswana, yet had just had a two hour taste of North American life. Canada and home were over 6000 miles away though. God only knew how many more months it would be till I saw my native soil again.
An odd feeling of nostalgia niggled at the back of my mind as we walked the city streets back to our hostel. This was a city and despite feeling dated, it was closer to home than I had felt in a while. Thoughts of home and what waited there still left me with questions though. I could feel a frown around my eyes and shook it off as I re-engaged with my travel companions of the moment.
I was in Bulawayo. I was on an adventure of a lifetime that was transforming me with every mile under my belt and every African breath that I took. We were about to sell our beloved van and a vital companion in our travels. For now though, I rejoined the group’s energy sphere and walked this African city’s streets home. 

5 comments:

  1. sounds like a little taste of reality and after so long in the journey it might have caused a shiver...i so want to go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It felt really odd to be in such a familiar reality that seemed like part of another lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. " This was a city and despite feeling dated, it was closer to home than I had felt in a while. Thoughts of home and what waited there still left me with questions though."

    OMG, I so know what you mean because I felt the exact same way leaving Japan!

    I have so enjoyed reading about your travels to Africa, I don't want it to end!!!!

    Please tell me there's more?

    FAB post, Katherine!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, Japan! I was supposed to go teach English there after returning home from Africa. What with one thing and another (and meeting my hubby-to-be!) it didn't happen, but I was so looking forward to the food adventure!

    and as for more Ron, I might have a tale or two more to share. :) Not home yet!

    xo Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. A trusted van is a friend indeed. Hubby (car salesman) sold my Honda van right out from under me, boo hoo. But luckily it was right here inour country, and he replaced it with a nice Toyota.

    Africa, such a gorgeous place, I see and hear.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails