Sunday, October 14, 2012

Still Alice

"Still Alice" by Lisa Genova; © 2007, Simon & Schuster

Dr. Alice Howland is a Professor of Psychology at pre-eminent Harvard University. She travels and speaks all over the world, is active in research and development of psycholinguistics and is highly respected by her students, peers and fellow teachers. She has a loving husband, three highly successful children and is riding high on a successful lifetime devoted to life.

That is until she stumbles one day in the middle of a presentation. She simply cannot find the word she is looking for. While most might miss her transgression, she is flustered by this slip in her normally flawless lectures. She recovers, but is bothered by this unusual turn of events. As the weeks go by, other small incidents occur that rattle her usually confident demeanour. She is 50 years old and has always been the stalwart in the family for remembering every and any small detail. Concerns that perhaps menopause is wreaking havoc with her internal systems, she makes a trip to her family physician. That leads to further tests and other doctors. The ultimate shocking diagnosis is early-onset Alzheimer's.

As the story unfolds, the reader walks the path of confusion that Alice slowly gets ensnared in. It is far worse than confusion though, as more than just words escape her in her steady spiral out of cognitive control. No amount of drugs, hope, wishing or praying can slow this horrific disease as it steals everything that Alice has ever held dear in her life. Genova's heart-breaking telling of the story is sad in its following of Alice's descent into the worst that Alzheimer's has to offer - memory loss, inability to recognize places, words and people, inability to interact in group settings or even perform normal everyday functions (everything from handling money, going out by oneself, to cleaning and grooming one's person). All this at the age of 50 in a Harvard Professor.

My heart broke for Alice, as she struggled to maintain control on the unsteady slope she slid down. I recognized her symptoms, as those that my own grandmother has suffered and shed a tear in understanding the unfairness of it all just that little bit more. No amount of reminding, pressuring, cajoling or humouring truly makes a difference. The neurons fail and they don't come back no matter how much you wish it to be different. It steals who the person was and the loved ones that surround that person are left to cope as best they can, trying to reconcile the person they remember with the damaged soul that is left. It isn't fair to any involved and Genova makes that sadly clear. The point she so saliently makes though is that even as the former personality slips away, the individual is still there and deserving of our respect.

I came to this book through my book club, but I take it with me to heart. I have visibly seen the symptoms Genova describes on the page, but her words helped me to see the disease a little clearer. It doesn't make me feel any better, but the tears I shed helped me to understand a little more.

~Thank you Lisa~

12 comments:

  1. gosh this book rocked me when i read it a couple years ago...it scares me honestly...one of the fears i keep tucked away...to ever have to go through that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Brian: I snuffled my way through a lot of it. I totally agree that it is terrifying, even moreso as my Grandmother is there. Thankfully it wasn't early-onset, but it is devastating none the less. The person that you knew and loved just fades away and even when they appear on occasion, just as quickly they are gone again. So very sad.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, this one was a tough read. I have also watched a beloved grandmother slip away, stolen by Alzheimer's.

    The book did a great job of putting you in Alice's shoes...and it was a damn scary place to be. Like Brian, I have a huge fear of suffering this fate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Me: Scary, heart-wrenching and humbling all rolled together. Not a place anyone wants to end up, I suspect

      Delete
  3. Ditto to all comments, I studied this disease in Public Health classes, and this insidious disease changed my mother's world upside down. And Yes I also read this excellent book.

    joanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @joanny: I am so sorry to hear that your Mother battled with this horrible disease. There are estimated to be 200,000 people in the US alone suffering from early-onset Alzheimer's, and 50,000 people under the age of 60 that have the disease in Canada. Those numbers are high and definitely scary.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic review. It has my tears already climbing up to make the dive from eye to cheek. I haven't ready this book, but aim to change that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Stranger: It really is a fabulous book Jennifer, but a heavy topic that can't be ignored. Worth it though!

      Delete
  5. Kat....?
    Freelance me a 55 once in a while.
    All you Canadian Babes went into Hibernation.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @G-Man: Aw, poor G! I have written a few, but never seem to be online to link them to you & go a-visiting. Keep bugging me & I'll make it happen my friend. :)

      Delete
  6. Katherine, this is a wonderful book review!

    You so clearly shared the plot of this story, but left enough out so that it makes me want to get the book and read it!

    Well done, my friend!

    Yes, I too have been closely touched by Alzheimer's (my grandfather) and it's incredibly sad, isn't it?

    "The point she so saliently makes though is that even as the former personality slips away, the individual is still there and deserving of our respect."

    Amen!

    Thanks for sharing....X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ron: It's a horrible disease that touches so many! If you read it Ron, make sure you have a box of tissues handy. Wouldn't want your makeup to run dear ;)

      Hope you are well Ronnie darling!

      Delete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails