Monday, January 20, 2014

For the Birds

"Be still my feeding heart" ~ Robert Reddon
I can't help it. I'm a crafty Mama. I've got my ECE diploma and everything. Add to that two kids under 8 years of age, a constant exposure to the internet (Pinterest is my inspiration mecca), and a love of all things aesthetic, and you get a new craft project every week.

It was a long weekend at our house this past weekend, so I decided that our crab apple needed decorating again. I mean it's been less than a week since I took down the exterior Christmas decorations! High time to redecorate in my books. And this is a project that I have loved since I found it on a crunchy mama blog a few years ago. This year's version was for the birds though.

What you'll need:
  • A pan to freeze water in ( I used a couple of cake pans)
  • A variety of items to put in the pan (only limited by your imagination)
  • String
  • Water

Ok, easy peasy here. Make sure you pick a receptacle that you will be able to get your frozen decor out of. I like cake pans because the are a good size to see from the house and road. Cut a length of string to drape into your pan. This is how you are going to hang your creation outside (mine hang in our crab apple, but you could string yours on a fence, gate or laundry line, wherever works for you). Now fill your pan with decorations; think tissue paper, dried flowers, feathers, greenery, berries or whatever strikes your fancy. Make it into a bird feeder with nuts and seeds, or a people pleaser with colourful items that bring you joy mid-January on a cold winter's day.

Once you have added your hand-picked items, carefully place your pan in the freezer. After it is frozen, remove from pan and hang for all to see and enjoy. Now you have a bright spot in your world and the cost is FREE!

How do you chase away the winter doldrums at your house?

2 comments:

  1. huh. that is a pretty cool idea...i was thinking of other things laying around the house...maybe in my change dish..a shoe maybe...ha...that could be an interesting decoration...

    we made flarp today....so fun....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flarp? Hmm, lost me on that one Brian.

      As for a shoe, you would need a pretty big pan to freeze it in, but it would certainly be a conversation piece for the neighbourhood! Ha

      Delete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails