Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Christmas Toast

Over at One Stop Poetry today, there is a suggestion to write something to honour family at Christmas time. I started with a different thought, but this story of love and generousity was a part of my Christmas a few years ago. It took centre stage, so I let it have reign on my page. I share it to honour my husband and the love and respect that he elicited from all those he touched. Enjoy.

Christmas was upon me.
I could not smile or glee.
It had been mere months
since death had claimed thee.

I pushed myself to function.
I strained myself not to cry,
but my heart lie still in tatters
and I too wanted to die.

Your Co-workers refused to listen
when I tried to decline their cheer.
They insisted I join the revelry
and at their party must appear.

I had no choice, but compliance.
Wiped tears and donned false smiles.
Their hugs of joy were too worthy
for a girl far from love by miles.

We ate, drank and were merry.
Shared stories til speeches were nigh,
then sombre I grew, as attention they drew
to myself  ushered forth to their eyes.

Beautiful stories were issued.
Thoughtful memories were shared to enthrall,
then to my surprise a check materialized
in my name, for my family, from them all.

Speechless, I stood in front of them.
Mine eyes blinking back full disbelief.
How could they know how this touched me so
in my heart shattered still by so much grief.

Their pockets were emptied in your name.
Wealth was shared from men, coast to coast.
And here stood I, staring at nary a dry eye
Trembling as they called for a toast.

To Brad, was the shout from the tables.
To Brad, was  the feeling round the room.
My love, it was beauty at its finest
and their hearts were opened all just for you.

I shook as I raised glass in your name
Tears fell, uncheckered from my heart
They saw the special in you, that I also knew
Their gift, to give me a fresh start.

Your heart, I feel its presence
nearly every day.
Your heart, I know it beats
yet strong for me.

but on that blessed eve
your love's magic it did weave
and not alone was I that night
when I did leave.

    {}{}{}

Merry Christmas to all of you at One Stop
and all of you who have touched my heart over the years
You all help to keep me going & for that I am grateful. 
Blessings to you all.

13 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas ... Peace on Earth ... Goodwill to Men

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so touching. I'm so sorry for your loss. Merry Christmas to you and yours, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh katherine - i find no words - have tears in my eyes from reading this - so glad you have it let reign on your page..
    merry christmas, hugs and blessings your way

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wiping my own tears, my friend. Hugs to you today and always. xoxo
    -C

    ReplyDelete
  5. tears...i am glad they were there for you...thank you friend for being there through out the year as well...merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That one got the tears going - it was hard writing about my dad - this one hits the spot. But it's a glorious spot isn't it for we move forward with the strength and knowledge they loved us

    I raise a glass to Brad, a man I know loved you - precious you!!!

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful tribute to your husband on Christmas....Many blessings to you and your family this season.....bkm

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be honest dear friends, this time of year is hard. On the one hand Santa still comes to my house, but I am the only one to give him ideas of what to bring {I kind of luck out ;)}. On the other much bigger hand, there is a huge hole of a dear sweet man that is physically missing by my side & I am so much lonelier because of it. I could hardly write the words for the tears that were falling here, so am somehow soothed by the fact that the story touches more than myself.

    @Helen: I add my wishes for peace & goodwill to all to yours

    @Patti: I wish you all the best over the holidays and thank you so much for taking the time to read my tale.

    @Claudia, Corrie, Brian and Leslie I will send you all kleenex boxes for Christmas you lovely people! It really does mean a lot to me that my words can reach out and touch another. Thank you so much for the support you always have at the ready. Leslie, I hope the holidays without your Dad are not too hard. Hugs to you all.
    Love Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like everyone else who has commented before me, I had tears in my eyes while reading this gorgeous tribute to your husband.

    Just from the energy of your words I can tell what a very special man he was, and the love you shared.

    Thank you so much for sharing this with us, dear lady.

    And know that you are supported and loved by many.

    I feel very blessed to have met you this year.

    Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

    (((( Katherine )))))

    X

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Ron: You are such a sweet dear friend and I too am soo grateful that I have met you. You make me laugh, think and even well up on occasion. You are a special and dear man and I always cherish every word you share. Thank you so much and I hope you have a wonderful holiday. You deserve it my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Now this is POWERFUL! While my separation from my family hurts this time of year, I know yours is by far more. You are one strong woman! I love your spirit! I wish you the very best Christmas and as much happiness as I can send your way for you AND your sweet girls. Merry Xmas Katherine! Love ya...Kat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my dearest friend,
    You put up such a good front that I forget how difficult this time of year must be.
    Cheers to your Brad. I feel I know him although we never meet. I guess that shows how strong and beautiful your memory of Brad shines.

    Love you,

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I offer my condolences along with the others here and my wishes for a joyous Christmas season and a fulfilling new year. The pain as you may know lessens, but the loss is always with you or at least it is for me. It's been 20 years for me and I'm still trying to keep the salient information in mind to tell him when he walks through the door. I know he won't, but I cry out every time I have to climb a ladder to change light bulbs...where are you? anyhow :)
    But there are many joys and adventures ahead too. Life is not finished with either of us. Thank you. Merry Christmas. Gay

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails