Monday, August 22, 2011

Little Luxuries

Thoughts of home drifted through my head today. They were like unreal memories from a time that felt like ancient history and  I could not shake them. Despite telling myself that I had moved on and was fine, my brain still refused to let go of images of John, the ex-boyfriend whom I had left so many months before. It was his birthday and his presence was strong around me, as I idled in Lusaka.  I wondered where he was and if he had a roof over his head at night. Was he still dependant on friend’s generousity and the comfort of their couches, or had he found a place of his own to call home? It did not matter, but just thinking of him, I knew that he still held a piece of my heart, despite all that had happened. I wished him well and sent happy thoughts across the ocean to him, knowing that if it mattered, he would feel them. Odds stated that I would never see him again, but our spiritual connection remained branded in the far reaches of my mind. I wasn't sure if I was happy about that or not, but the fact still remained.
John was not with me now though. No one was. I was in Lusaka at a friend of Eddie’s apartment. The night previous, Eddie had gone out with his friend, while I stayed back at the apartment and enjoyed the luxury of a candle-lit bath with Leonard Cohen and classical music on the stereo, as well as poetry and the first few stories from Roald Dahl’s collection of short stories in hand. It had been a long time since I had spent an evening in that manner. It felt decadent and rich. I couldn’t have asked for a better way to spend an evening alone. And now, the light of the day illuminated the journal that I scribbled into again. 

With Eddie busy getting welding done on some of his equipment, it appeared that we would be spending another night in Lusaka. I didn’t mind though, as the calendar did not dictate my days. We had the luxury of a real roof over our heads and running water at our fingertips. I had no money to spend, but nothing that I had want of either. Food and drink were readily available to fill my bloated belly. A real bed and pillow would catch my dreams that night. We would depart Lusaka in the morning and by evening, I would rest my head in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe.  It was enough to know that I still had food in my belly, good people around me and the means to get where I wanted to go. Tomorrow might be a different story. 

4 comments:

  1. nice, take the little luxuries while you can get them...a hot bath and some cohen does not sound bad at all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It was enough to know that I still had food in my belly, good people around me and the means to get where I wanted to go."

    It's so wonderful to hear that you appreciated those little luxuries!

    Aaaaah...there's nothing quite like soaking in a hot bath with candles aglow, is there?

    And nice glass of red wine too - HA!

    Have a wonderful Monday, Katherine!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brian: It sounds very good & I might have to indulge in the near future. For now, I am home again though & enjoying the luxury of a roof over my head & my own bed tonight. Ahh, goo d to be home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ron: At the time those were HUGE luxuries Ron! I hadn't had access to a tub in months & to throw in the ambiance around it was heavenly. I hope you are well Ron!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails