Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday Weather Systems Around the World

I woke up this morning to a world of white. Mother nature had dumped 5cm of snow on our city, with 20+expected before the end of the day. Argh! Enough already!

While disappointing, as a road trip is planned, the radio had worse news. Across the world Mother nature was wreaking much worse havoc. An earthquake measuring 8.9 on a Richter scale that only goes up to 10 hit Japan with a force to spawn tsunamis there and beyond. A nation not a stranger to earthquakes, this is the largest earthquake they have experienced since they began measuring 140 years ago.

When I turned on the radio at 8:30am (est), announcements of school bus cancellations were quickly superseded by evacuation reports from Hawaii, where a tsunami was expected to hit any time. Hundreds of people were killed and missing in Japan with damage probably running into the billions. Hawaii is still on high alert, but looks like it might be spared the worst of it.

I look back out my window at the snow steadily falling and cannot help but think that having to cancel a road trip is a pretty small price to pay. Life in perspective is a pretty heavy thing. My thoughts are with the people in Japan and beyond that are affected by this devastating disaster. Peace to them.

6 comments:

  1. yeah my thoughts are with them as well...and those dealing with the aftermath...enjoy your bit of snow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Brian: No comment on my snow enjoyment. I have about 3ft of heavy snow to try to remove from the end of my driveway compliments of the snow plow this am. Far better than the water on the other side of the world though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Life in perspective is a pretty heavy thing. My thoughts are with the people in Japan and beyond that are affected by this devastating disaster. Peace to them."

    You're so right, my friend! I remember back in the 90's (after spending three months in Japan), they had one of the worst earthquakes. And it was in the town in which I had been living. What amazes me about the Japanese is that they have such resilience; never complaining. They simply pick up, rebuild, and move on. They're incredible people.

    We're not getting any snow here as of yet, just a lot of rain.

    Have a wonderful weekend, Katherine!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't given much thought to Japan today, as Eshly is in Hawaii right now and I've been rather preoccupied worrying about her (& Roy). But now that I know they're safe (I will feel even better when they're home), I can turn my thoughts to those in Japan. And yes, our little bit of snow was really nothing to complain about in the grand scheme of things. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes- real disasters do put our world into perspective. What's a little snow-when we could be experiencing an earthquake...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose we shouldn't complain about a flurry of snow.... but it seems in our nature to complain about our weather, whatever it is like.

    My ex daughter in law is waiting for news of all her aunties , uncles and cousins who are scattered around Sensei, the city where the Japanese Tsunami hit. So far, no news. But the immediate family near Tokyo are safe.
    It seems that unpredictable things are happening all over the world.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails