Thursday, January 6, 2011

Shared Meals

Lobster tails

Oh, yummy reminders from Christmas! Delicious, and all the better for me not having any part in making them. I was spoiled over the holidays with so many wonderful meals being made for me. The one above was Christmas Eve, complete with Prime Rib, mashed potatoes, some other veggie matter and  bottle of Vino to wash it down with complements of my step-brother. Felt like a queen!

You all can probably guess what the next night's dinner was. Yup, the all-powerful image of Christmas and families coming together over the piping hot bird brought forth from the oven; Turkey! I love me some turkey, with all the fixings. Ohh, dressing and mashed potato, cranberry sauce and brussel sprouts, plus my Mom's famous icky orange stuff (carrot, squash mix -always different, but good!). I love it all, especially the camaraderie of family laughing and sharing around the extended table. Plus my dear, sweet aunt made a point of separating parents and children from each other. So yes, I did not have to sweat about whether my dear R ate a bite or not (The best part? hmm). And no, she ate almost nothing, but I didn't have to witness it directly, so it was all good. 

Of course, not everyone loves turkey...

The Carcass
After sweating all day in the kitchen and smelling the turkey roasting away, my aunt is almost loathe to even sit at table with the blessed offering. She tries every year to convince us to cook anything but turkey. No turkey, no family though. We cannot help, but rub it in afterwards though. Mean, but what the heck!

And New Year's just kept that good food coming. We dined on yummy Ecuadorian food at my sister's in-laws, with a little more turkey thrown in for good measure. Midnight came and champagne helped toast in the year to come with glee and bliss. After dancing the night away until the very wee hours, we finally crashed where we dropped. And not a creature was stirring, not even the kids!


My last decadence was the very next day. As dawn came much too soon, energy levels had not a chance of renewal. We managed a meal or two for the sake of the little ones in the house, once we returned to my sister's. By dinner, Chinese was in order though. Ah, Chinese food; the salvation of lazy cooks everywhere! 

So why am I re-hashing all this? Well, food jags are not a new thing in my house. My littlest one gives me a run for my money most nights around the dinner table. Since the holidays have ended though, I have had a bit of a respite. I don't want to speak too quickly and jinx myself, but I think (please!) that maybe she is getting it. I have tried to make meals that have appealed and stuck to my guns on taking food away after 30 minutes. She in turn has been excited to show me an empty plate, or at least not crushed when the timer beats her  and dessert is denied (bribery you say? Why, yes!). I think I have also chilled out a little, what with having helping hands and smiling faces of other adults to carry the load. Bliss!

I think that I will close by putting out the invite to any of you delightful folks that wander through my pages, to please, please, please stop by for a meal or two anytime. I usually have a bottle of wine kicking around somewhere or other, and we love the company! It makes for a better day for us all...

9 comments:

  1. be careful you never know where i might end up...esp with all that good food..ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, my mouth is watering and I have a huge smile on my face, thinking of all that delicious food. Yummy! Yummy!

    You guys had FEAST!

    And don't ya just love this...

    "I love it all, especially the camaraderie of family laughing and sharing around the extended table."

    Agreed! Being Italian, eating with family and friends go hand in hand.

    Bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this, Katherine! Good food, family, fun times...nothing finer!

    One of my three was a super picky eater as a child and amazes me as an adult who not only loves all the things he detested as a child, but is more open to new flavors than anyone I know...so there's hope! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took a parenting course (Triple P, if you're interested) and as dinner time was a particular issue in our house, that is what we worked on. My instructor told us to set a timer for twenty minutes(so tell your girls they're lucky!) and then take the meal away with no comment, no fuss. Dinner was done, the end. You know what? It really helped...both on the kid eating more, and the parent not being so STRESSED!

    PS - Why yes, I'd LOVE to come for dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Neva: Thanks Neva. Was going through Xmas pics & got hungry looking at those lobster tails.

    @Brian: There is always room for another around the table & a pull-out in the basement for those that imbibe one tipple too many over dinner. Consider the invite open!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ron: "OMG, my mouth is watering and I have a huge smile on my face, thinking of all that delicious food. Yummy! Yummy!

    You guys had FEAST!"

    We did too!! My step-brother might be lacking in a department or two, but when it comes to food he is the king! Showed up Christmas Eve with all those pretty little lobsters, plus every other item of the meal AND cooked it ALL! I did not lift a finger and was thrilled at such a fabulous Christmas gift. Loved it!!

    All the other yummy meals were divine too, but the company over the holidays was the icing on the cake. I love my family get-togethers. Cheers to family & to you too Ron!
    clink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Talon: Oh, Talon, you are telling me there is hope! Hallelujah! Bless you dear woman, for I need to hold onto the lifelines people throw me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Me: I think we are overdue for dining, are we not? perhaps we need to pull out our calendars & make a date my lovely friend.

    And you hit the nail on the head with the stress. We are all hitting our stress max, but repsite has been in the wings, so I keep breathing

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails